Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sept 24, 1943


Cpl Stanley W Safford
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

Sept 24, 1943

Dear Folks,

Arrived here at 6:00pm last evening quite tired and dirty, the same as upon my arrival home.  Was too tired and had so many things to do that I did not have time then to write you a line so will do so now.
They have certainly got to sell me a Pullman ticket next time I come home for never again will I take a ride like that one.  The car was no better than the first one but I did at least have a seat and was it hot coming thru Yuma and of course there was no air conditioning so that was of course a great help, and was the wonderful delicious lunch a great for I only went to the dining car once on the entire trip and I want you to know how much I appreciate your firing(?) it for.  The venison sandwiches were certainly delicious.
Well, it seems that the group has certainly been having a time of it with special inspections and all the rest just to see how near ready we really are towards going overseas and a few are quite excited but the balance are not very excited and the Col. Has brought his wife down to live here for awhile which of course may be taken two ways.
That candy that Mrs. Miner gave me was certainly delicious and you should have taken some of it.
Come to find out I have that income tax thing here and was using it as a bookmark n that so I will look it over and see what I can make of it and send in whatever I have to mail in.  What was it that you said I had to do about it?
I want to write Nelson and I do not have his address so will you send it to me if you think of it in your next letter.  I believe that I have all the other addresses here that I will want.
The office here as it always did have a lot of changes and there are still a lot of things to be done and a lot more changes to be made but they will have to wait their turn.  They have discarded a lot of the bad ones from the group and perhaps will do more in the future.
This morning to start things off with a bang I took or rather went on one of their hikes and I was not a bit tired when I came back but some of the others who have come back from furlough sure felt weak and quite exhausted but of course from what I hear they didn’t spend too much time at home and all of it running around so there is very likely the reason for it.  I regret that I did not spend more time at home than I did because time was so short and I am not going to forget it for a long time and I am going to be looking forward to coming home on another furlough and then of course I would be more than glad to go home for good.
You certainly tried and succeeded in making my stay at home an enjoyable one and you perhaps are still tired from the work and the trouble I put you to.
I will have to get busy and write several short letters and once again get started on some correspondence and that will keep my time well occupied and I have made up my mind that from now on it is going to be a different story and I am going to do my work well but am not going to break my neck while at it as I have done in the past and I will get just as much out of it.  Because I get back to find the rest of them not exerting themselves any all because they are now at the top of their ladder and then can go no further.  I still have in the back of my mind of getting out of here and trying to get somewhere that I will be able to work up.
Well my time is growing short so will close now and will start another one very shortly and give you more details of my trip and make it a much longer one.  I want to thank you so very much for everything you have done for me and I shall never be able to repay you for it all.

Lots of love,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment