Wednesday, January 25, 2012

June 28, 1943


Cpl Stanley W Safford
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

June 28, 1943

My dear Mother:

Here it is several days after our return from bivouac where we were any way about everybody … was chewed up by wood ticks and chiggers and put up with the peculiarities of the various officers who didn’t seem to realize that they were away from camp.
Some of them didn’t know how to put their tents up and they wondered why they didn’t have a table for them to eat off etc. And one of them took along a very pretty pair of blue pajamas. And about all that I done was run my head off running down one thing first then another.  After seeing how long all the officers had their fingers in the pie of trying to run things I sure hope that we don’t have another one very soon.
My Captain Skinner left today for a special course at Mayo’s and he is going to be gone for 6 weeks and I am quite sure that I am not going to like it very much far again there were be everybody’s fingers in the pie again.
Then of course there is my furlough coming up.  The fifteenth and I am looking forward to that as you can well imagine and I am afraid that I shall have to get some money from you since my money is all tied up in bonds but after I come back here I will send you what I owe you then.
The days here recently have been the warmest that I have ever seen and sultryness that I have never seen the likes of.  And these tents here certainly hold the heat.  I sit in ours and just sweat all day just setting there.  This evening it is much cooler here in this old hanger than I thought it would be.  I represent our outfit tonight by having charge of the day room from 4 till 11.  It seems that they keep all of us non coms busy on some kind of duty or another all the time on something.  There are only thirteen of us here.  It seems that I had so much to say and now when I get around to writing this delayed letter.  Did I tell you that Miss Mosher sent me a very delicious box of Sees candy.  Also while on bivouac.  I received a letter from Mrs. Matson and the pictures of Jonny and they were certainly good ones of him, he looks quite grown up.  Well my time is about up here this evening so will write some more tomorrow.

I have returned from town this evening and for a change it was quite easy to get into town and out again because since the 95th has gone there no longer is the crowd to contend with but I hear that there is another division coming in soon.
I am going to begin angling for a transfer from here to another more agreeable place where peace and quiet will reside again.  The other evening they had a nice fight which ended up in a stabbing out here in the company street and they sit around here and put him only on seven days restrictions for it.  But that follows their old way of doing nothing about the discipline around here.  And the Sgts here don’t know any better to begin with.
There is one of the boys that is going with me on my furlough here, talking it over about how and when etc.,  Of course that is the main topic of decision write is four that are going that way.
They are having a dance over at the Recreation Hall tonight and they are having quite so I had better go to my tent and try and get some sleep.  Sorry my letter is so late and confusing.  Take care of yourself.

Love, your son


No comments:

Post a Comment