Thursday, January 26, 2012

July 11, 1943


Cpl Stanley W Safford
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

July 11, 1943

My dear Mother

I am writing you today from the office when it is quiet and perhaps a little cooler than my tent.
Last evening I went into town to take some cleaning and laundry in also to eat in town for a change and just as I was going into (the) cleaners it started to sprinkle very large drops of rain and it was still doing such as I came out of the cafĂ© but soon stopped and did not rain again until after I got home.  I came down to the office here and read a very little then went to bed but awoke this morning about seven o’clock to find it raining and blowing in quite hard so I got up and let the curtains of the tent down and returned to bed and slept until about eleven o’clock when I woke up, got dressed and ready for dinner.  After that I came down here and have written one letter to Esther.
Yes, I can well understand her story.  It is the same old in-law story.  Too bad that she can’t move out and live by themselves, but then who would stay with her mother?
What does the dark of the Moon have to do with the frogs being caught or not?
How has the weather been in LA recently? Thanks a lot for the suggestion of the OD.  I was going to bring a pair of them with me and I will, when I come, because August will be much cooler.  The temperature reached 110° here one day last week and 103° a couple other days and that starts out about eight o’clock and cools off about eight in the evening, if it were not for that we would not be able to sleep.
The cookies arrived here in very good condition and they were certainly very good, Just finished them a day or so ago.  Everything else of that type has always lasted and been in good condition upon its arrival here.
I would sure have liked to have been there to go out to Susanna to help pick apricots, for I always liked to do that.
You once asked about if we in the Medical corps ever carried guns.  We do only on some occasions in the actual battle area.  But we have never been trained with them here.  In fact I have never seen one even except at the pay table and he is always an MP which they borrow from the MP Battalion here on the post.
Well, I guess my OCS application is finally on its way.  It seemed to take it long enough to get away from this outfit and I am trying to study all kinds of things that they may ask me before the board which I hope will not call me for awhile because I want to study some more before going before them and as you know I want to go so badly.
Have you heard from the Prentice outfit as yet? Or do they think that you are going to forget it?
The news from the Sicilean battle front has certainly been very good and I certainly hope that it continues that way.  I think that Hitler is going to leave Italy to themselves more or less and withdraw into the Austrian Alps where he has a good stronghold.  I cut a nice large map of Sicily out of one the USG? Posters that they send out and it is really a good one to follow for it has all the names in large type on it.  They really turn out some good maps.
I was to Mrs Tedesco’s house the other evening with John Langstadt and Gladys Hitchcock and her sister were there.  She is the other lady in the picture that I sent home with the four of us in it if you remember. 
Mrs. Tedesco served sandwiches and a very nice buffet luncheon, it all made, also included were or was a very delicious salad and a punch made up of pineapple orange and grapefruit juice which was very good.  Her father you know, is a retired Colonel who used to be Flight Surgeon for the  United States  Air Forces with an office in Washington DC.  If he were still in now he would be a Major General which the man who he picked to succeed him is now.  He is quite a person, active and gets around quite a bit.  The reason for his breakdown (cause of retirement), the doctors told him, was overactiveness and overwork.  He spent several years in the Philippines’ and Hawaii.
Enclosed you will find he picture which you sent me some time ago of the family.  If you want me to have it you may put it away for me.  I am going to send some more home also at a later date.  Also I will send home some more old letters which you may put away for me.
It is about time that I sent you were wanting some more Mexican candy.  When I am up ton again I will, when I see some, send you a box of it since you like it.  I am quite fond of it myself.
They have gotten the new school building here at Dodd Field completed finally and the Sgt Ryan that I have spoken of is down there, while I remain up here in the office up to my neck in work. Capt Skinner told me that that down there would be my job, when the building was completed. But he won’t be back for five or six weeks yet and I understand that he may leave here yet with the other two that are thinking of going to Brentwood, Long Island with Col. Hill.  I would like to go if they go because it would give me a chance to see some more country as well as a change in jobs, but there is always OCS that I may work for and stand a chance of getting it. As you well know the demand for officers is much smaller now than it was previously so they are cutting down the quotas everywhere.
I took time out to go down to the new school building where Sgt Ryan is reading and he was telling me the great big news that everything is and how he can not get supplies and how the officers expect so much whenever they have a class and how impractical and unbearable they are, but he need not tell me about it because I deal with them all day.  And I get as tired of tem as I ever got of anything.  There is only about one or two of them that are real gentlemen here since Captain Skinner left.  The rest of them are a lot of people who never amounted to anything or were never anybody in civilian life and now they are made a captain or major and are really supposed to be somebody and they lose no time in telling you so either.
One of them asked me if I had any matches that he could use.  I told him no, that I did not and he came back with the remark that:”Your training has been sadly neglected.  You should always have matches for the officers.”  I told him since I didn’t smoke it was not necessary to carry them.
And you mentioned once that perhaps those got ratings who deserved them.  Well that works only about 1/3 of the time.  It works the same in the enlisted men as the officers.  Somebody who never was any good or never amounted to anything usually gets them and they are just the ones who should not be non-commissioned officers (according to the looks) I as well as a lot of others get disgusted with the whole affair.  There are others here who are corporals who have had nowhere near the training that I have had and then come out and tell you that they got theirs by working nowhere near as hard.  Or they ask you why you are not any higher in rank and some of the dopes that they expect you to work with.
There was a couple others here that were very much disappointed about the furloughs.  One was a driver who, they tell him they were going to let two drivers go on furlough at one time but they changed their minds the last minute and are only letting one go.  He is also moved up to August then the Jew Major that I have here tells me in one breath that it is alright with him that I go and in the next breath tells the lieutenant not to let me go.  The lieutenant told me that he would like to let me go only the major told him different. So here I remain until approx. the 15th of August.  My furlough will be fifteen days when I do get it and then again in October I will be due another fifteen days, maybe. Well that is the way it goes in the army.
Well, my Dear Mother, I shall close now and will write again soon.  Don’t worry and take care of yourself.

Lots of love from your son,
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment