Monday, January 23, 2012

June 2, 1943


Cpl Stanley W Safford
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

June 2, 1943

My dear Mother:

Well this evening I am writing on the Adjutants desk here in the main office.  I am at present taking the CQ’s place while he is away getting a haircut.  The CQ means Charge of Quarters and they are in charge at all times when the officers etc are away, in other words after the business day is over with.  For some reason the new Colonel is here in the office tonight but he has not said a word so I guess he is getting along alright.  I talk with them all day and in a way am rather glad when the time comes when the day is done and the officers have all gone home or elsewhere.  They parade in and out of my office all day and I meet them all, Majors on down.  And they all either call me Safford or Cpl Safford.  And there are a couple of captains that I am quite fond of.
I can hear the talking and music from the outdoor theater way down here this evening because the air is quite clear.
Yesterday and today have been quite warm and sultry.  We marched up to the theater both yesterday and today to see some pictures.  And believe me it was quite a jaunt for some of them, but both the pictures were very good.  One of them was a picture on Service of Supply and the other one today was Battle of Britain showing the actual picture of the German bombing of England.
Yesterday I mailed you $95 which I want you to take $75 of and buy me a $100 War Bond with you made out as the co-owner on it for me.  The reason for wiring the money was to get if off my hands as that is too much to be carrying around here.  I was the highest paid enlisted man in the Group this time and the clerks didn’t have sense enough to keep it quiet as they should have done.  The post office closes at 5 o’clock and we don’t get through until five.  It will cause you trouble of going and getting it but it will be much better.  With the balance you can save it for me and you can take what I owe you out of it.
Most of my day is spent in a maze of figures dashes between them etc and then I have a class or two also.  And today it caused quite a commotion when I went before the class with my stripes.  You know I never wore my PFC stripes on my shirt because they weren’t worth it.  These if I do say so myself are quite nice looking anyway, a change.  The class is now quite a group, and the new additions which they have made, have been no better than the previous ones as far as mentality goes.  And in instruction a person can not use more than a two syllable word for fear of them not understanding it.  The other day the Major and myself were interviewing and I asked him (the boy) what he majored in, in High School and he answered that he had only gone to the 3rd grade and was I shocked after that. 
They at the Service School were quite surprised to hear of my promotion.  The little figures at the bottom with the twos meant to whom 2 copies were to be sent. 2 commanding general 8th Service command, 2 Com Office FSH, 2 Co Gen Brooke Gen. etc
Enclosed you will find some pictures which you may be interested in.  Later I will send you the negative and you can have some copies made for me.  They are none too good either as none of mine have as none of mine have been.  But there are some rather nice views of the river in the background.
Well I believe that I will be closing now for the night and more tomorrow.  Good night.
How time does fly and again it is raining.  It has rained every weekend since my arrival here. And above all else this morning we were scheduled to have an inspection by three generals.  Nelson, post commander; Yoohoo General Leahr and General McNair[1] but I guess they have put if off because of the rain.  I have seen Generals here and there around the post but I have never had one inspect me before.
You asked once before if they gave a diploma at MSC. No they don’t – just a mimeograph sheet.  I do not know about birth certificate or OCS. But I suppose that they will tell me in time if I make it.  You mentioning fresh pineapple makes me think of our evening up town last week-end.  They had bananas and pineapples in abundance. That is down in the Mexican quarters.  Anyway I am very fond of them.  One evening I bought a fresh coconut when I went to Mrs. Tedesco’s and it was sure good.  Her informed parties are certainly enjoyable.  I want you to meet her someday.  I have seen pictures of her husband and he does not look very woppish.
It may be a good idea to build an arbor from the garage to the house to cover the back porch to protest it from the heat of the sun.
I received the pictures all right and they look as tho they had a better job developing than I can get here or had you noticed.
I think you are quite right about the relatives taking advantage of you and they should have been put in their place some time ago.
The pictures of myself at the Convent are not much good but he only had one of those cheap pocket cameras and you know them.
As for myself wondering why I don’t get a letter from you, I do not worry too much because I know that you are all busy.  But I am more ashamed of myself for not writing.
Your question of how far I am from the Service School.  We are about four, or perhaps a little over, miles away.  You know, this fort is the largest of its kind in (the) US.  Camp Barkeley is 40 square miles but this is of a different type.
I never heard of any law prohibiting the wearing of the caduceus, as long as you don’t wear two of them and on a uniform.  The type which I sent is quite difficult to wear on most thing, is it not.
Your questions as my group.  Yes, the group is new and there is one such group as ours for each Army.  We are the Fifth Army’s group from what I gather and we shall work in the 4th Echelon when in the Combat zone and we rush from one heavy casualty area to another.
No, they don’t have jacarandas down here.  It gets too cold here for them.  The Oleanders here even freeze but they are quite pretty now.  The Gardenias have just about finished blooming but they lasted.  The Zinnias are all in bloom now but I suppose they do not bloom later on when the weather gets warmer when I suppose the heat kills everything else.

Well just received your box of walnuts cupcakes and the roll of film.  The cupcakes are delicious and I want to thank you for them.
I have not as yet gotten the shirt, but will get it today if it stops raining but if it is more you need not worry.
I am beginning to have quite a time of trying to remember the various officers names but I will I suppose will never remember all 132 of them when they all get here.  But know them all now so far.  And the more that come the better they seem to get.
We now have a new Colonel.  The old one bid us goodbye yesterday and has now gone to New York.  He will soon be a Brigadier General (Beach).  He shook hands with me when in the tent bidding the officers goodbye.
Well my list of things to write about (is) running quite low.  So I had better bring this letter to a close.  Goodbye for now and thanks for everything,

Your son,
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment