Tuesday, January 31, 2012

September 30 (1943)


Sgt Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

Thursday Sept 30

My dear Mother,

I received your very welcome letter and the pictures today and was very glad to receive them.  I had been wondering about them.  Yes, the pictures of Joe very likely would quiet weird of him.  He has some very nice ones of himself all made up with stage material and the Chinese furniture.  But that was years ago and he of course has changed since then.  His mother told him to take all that junk off, but he still insisted so we took them.  What do you think of the Chinese furniture and screen which he painted?
Tonight we are going out on a night problem of Map Reading and it should be quite interesting.  We have not had one since I have been here.
Well, Major Grubin is back now with all his fancy and elaborate ideas of how an office should be run.  His idea of the more paper the better certainly outdoes anything that I have seen.
Major Skinner is going to be gone to Chicago for about fifteen days for the American Board and also for ten day leave.  He is going to try and make a special list’s rating in EEMT work.  He has been studying quite hard for it and I sure hope that he makes it.
They are going to have some more operations on the dogs here during the next few weeks and they should prove quite interesting.  I may even get a chance to assist with one or two of them. So far the officers have done all that type of thing but they perhaps will change and have a technician assist as scrub nurse or third on the operating team.
Well here we are in again after the field map reading and what a mess, we could not find any of the stakes and all I or shall I say, we, got out of the deal was wet feet and tired of walking around in the dark.  So finally we got tired and came in and we haven’t heard anything of it since then.
Here it is the next day and we have not heard anything yet of the map reading yet.
After we went to bed last night it rained quite hard but this afternoon or rather this morning it was quite clear and we went on the usual hike and I rather enjoyed it for it was just warm enough and nothing extreme as it was before in some cases either too hot or too cold.
If this letter seems confused it is because they are having interviews in here this afternoon and I have to be in here for the purpose of calling them in and the rest of the things that go to having these interviews.  The rest of the boys this afternoon are all off because they went out last night but here the office crews still is.  Always that way.
Major Skinner left today for Chicago and will be gone for about fifteen days.
I am going to miss him.  His friend Major Kuhns will also be gone for about 12 days since his wife had a baby recently.  He is quite overjoyed and has handed out about three boxes of cigars and is still going strong.  He is the one which I spoke of as being such a gentleman and quite diplomatic.  He is a dental officer and from what I hear he is one of the best dental officers we have.
Mrs. Tedesco said that Captain and Mrs. Foster of the Medical Service School was over to the house the other evening and they both raved over them.  I did not know it but her husband collects bookends and she has books for them all.
I am going to see Gladys one of these evenings and give her the little Redwood vase.
Well the afternoon drags on and the boys come in and out and the same old questions are asked again and again.
Sgt Ryan and Cpl. Moore asked me to go to town with them this afternoon but here I am sitting here.
Well I guess that I had better be closing now but I will write again soon and keep up on my writing to you folks at home.

As ever lots of love,
Your son,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment