Saturday, January 28, 2012

July 21, 1943


Cpl Stanley W Safford
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

July 21, 1943

My dear Mother:

It is again the end of another very hot and sultry day and for the first time in days I have not been too rushed to enjoy it and today I really felt quite tired.  So I came down here to the school building this evening to write a couple letters and also enjoy the coolness of the first floor.  This is the only building in Dodd Field that is built two story but the upstairs is unbearable for the heat.
Yesterday for a nice little hike we took a hike which lasted an hour going and coming.  Off course that sounds quite easy, but when you hear that we took from 125-160 steps per minute you will begin to wonder a little and I was quite amused to find that I done much better than a lot of the regular field non coms who are out all the time or rather supposed to be but are laying in their tent most of the day.
I am going to try and get the clerk in my office a rating of some kind the first of the month also a couple others here deserve something.  I have come to the conclusion that they are going to hear a little of myself around here from now on, everybody else around here has their little part to say about everything that comes up.
I have as yet not heard from my OCS affair but I suppose that it takes a little time as everything else does and this case is no exception.  All I hope is that if I am called is that they will give me enough time for a furlough before going I would hate to o to school for four months before going home.
The letter that you sent on to me is one from an acquaintance of Joe’s and he I guess he just happened to think of me or something Joe tells me that he is a big nuisance.  But he writes me asking me all about flowers, vegetables etc.
So I guess that I shall have to take time out and write him.
Have you heard from Joseph as yet.  I suppose that he is back from his vacation by now and very likely back to work.  Here I wish that I were back to where I could be back to work and a week’s vacation of some kind.
I hope that I am able to get my furlough while the balance of the outfit here are on bivouac if not I will be ready to leave on it when we return.  The heavy rains which we had here a short time ago have sure brought out everything nice and green again the grass is just beginning to turn a little brown again.  The big old Brackenridge house upon the hill not far from here sure looks nice with everything green around it again.  That house is sure a very interesting one and only about four or five rooms in the entire house are occupied.  I am sometimes going to find out if I may go in and look around and take some pictures.
The news from Sicily is sure beginning to sound very good and if they can only finish the rest of this mess just as fast.  I have been following the news quite closely recently because of OCS reasons.
The evening is becoming reasonably comfortable now and I am sitting here by a window which looks out over a part of Dodd Field and beyond is some green hills which is a railroad track which is very seldom used.  There are a couple good sized horse breeding ranches near here and they really have some very fine looking horses.  One of them is a doctor who really has a very beautiful horse upon a knoll alone the farm or ranch.
The other day I was down here at the school building and outside drove up Brig Gen Nulsen and we thought that he for sure was going to come in but he went out and walked around one of the new building next door and after looking around for awhile he came out, got back into his car and the chauffeur drove away.  You should have sen us here inside putting things in order for him in case he did come in.  I am getting quite used to Generals now for every day or so I see either a Brig Gen. or a Major Gen somewhere on the post.  Also you perhaps have heard of Lt Commander Britt of the Navy?  He also lives here on the post, with a big house not far from Mrs. Tedesco’s.
How is Richard K getting along now(a)days. I guess that I should really write them for I do owe them a letter since they wrote me last, but my time does fly and I am not able to write you as often as I would like to.
The other day when Sgt Ryan turned in his application for OCS they like to have had a fit and today my clerk asked for an application to ASTP (Army Specialized Training Program).  They like to have keeled over again, they are very likely beginning to wonder just what is going to happen to all their good men.
Captain Skinner is expected back around the tenth of next month and he is in for a nice big mess when he does get back for the major is beginning to get tired of his job as Plans and Training Officer and he wants to get a course of some kind also and he made the remark the other day to another officer that he was getting tired of the job and that he needed a rest by this time after working so hard.
So he is also getting tired of this mess as everyone else is.
How does Muriel like her new job by now, or has she grown tired of it since she has not got the time to be out playing or chasing the streets with the other hoodlums up and down the street.
I suppose that the Blair’s yard is a mess with both of them working.
Mrs Miner always did work so hard on her yard and no one ever thought of helping her.  You can tell her that I would enjoy her yard anyway that also applied to our house and yard.  I sure don’t want you to work yourself to death over it because after all there is no reason for t and I will appreciate it just as much.
How are my cymbidiums doing?  They should be putting on a lot of growth by this time and before long they will be going dormant and getting ready for blooming next year.  They should have a lot of water now to encourage their growth,
Someday I will make something of them or perhaps sell them before then.  That will depend upon what I think of them when I get home.
Well the evening is drawing to a close and I shall quit for now. Give my regards to the family and take care of yourself.  How is your arm here lately? I hope it is well by now. Good night for this time,

Love you always,
Your son
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment