Sunday, January 29, 2012

August 20, 1943


Cpl Stanley W Safford
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

August 20, 1943

Dear Mother:

After a very tiring day which the temperature rose to alone a hundred and the tent here was unbearable at times and after a very short while of sitting here and sweating a person very soon begins to smell and I feel now as tho I had not had a bath in years.
I received your nice long letter today and really enjoyed it.  I would so much like to write so very much more but you very likely know just what that is to never have the time for anything at any time.  And the heat here just wears me and everyone else down to the place where we don’t feel like doing anything.  And on top of all that I have worked three out of the last five evenings on some of their stupid work that I have had piled up here all the way up to my neck.  I have not forgotten Miss Mosher and her letter is with three of four other unanswered ones in my box and hers was the next on the list but to ever get to it I have been trying to ever since bivouac but just to do it is another thing.  I do think that you should go to the desert for a day or so because the rest would do you good, and then you could just let the rest of the world go by and think of yourself for a while.
It is indeed too bad about Mrs. Finley and I do hate to hear about it.  I always liked the both of them very much and hate to hear of anything happening to either of them.
I guessed that when my clerk left me the time before that he would very likely be back and sure enough he is back and I am really able to give a big sigh of relief since he is such a big help and once again I can have a furlough in sight and it may be the 1st or 15th of September unless the OCS thing comes up first.  So once again we can have hopes and something to look forward to.
Here it is again another one of these tiresome and boresome Sundays when we here never seem to get anything done, most of them here seem to think that their Sundays are a day when they can lay around and do nothing else other than sleep or read some magazines of some kind.  But for myself it is a day when I can get a chance to clean up myself and a few other things of that nature.  It seems that my shoes always need cleaning and my head needs working.  The other evening I went by the library on my way home and it was 98° inside there where they have the electric fans and all the other things so you can well imagine what it is like where we are down here at Dodd Field and the conditions don’t lend themselves towards helping keep a thing clean.
Enclosed you will find one of those orders that was made out when I was sent down here.  One of them as you see was for me  (I & M) but I never received one of them in fact never saw one of them until yesterday when I was going through some of the files and found a couple extra so you can keep me a copy.  All things of this type you can save for me.  They may be useful to me some day.  To look at the thing you would really think that they were send an important personage to some place equally important Ha Ha !
Also you will find a copy of the other order that Major Skinner put over while his friend Col Hill was still here and not the fool that we have here now that listens a little too much to the 1st Sgt who is entrusted only in his own welfare.
You asked about the watches at the PX here.  They are all sold out of all kinds. So they will be rather hard to find around here.
You asking about the mail being wanted by all soldiers.  Yes that is true but so many owe me most of their time.
I always tried to keep the Matsons’ away from the house since it in no way compared with theirs and you know me as far as pride goes in that respect.
You know that Mr. Matson quite often told me that they were always going to never keep the secret from Jon of his being adopted so it rather amuses me to hear about Mrs. M keeping it a secret.
The college where Donald Kingen is more than Texas A M where they have all sorts of these courses.
Your mentioning  the ocean makes me homesick to think of it since we have none of the sea very close here.
It is quite an affair of us being able to take back Kiska so very easily.  Perhaps the Japs saw a hard winter ahead of them so decided to give up without a fight.  The war news looks very promising from all angles today so the more of it the better we like to hear of it.
Yes, the bunch of bums here are all quite a bit like A Grumberg.  All of them always broke and they do nothing else but drink it up and throw it away.  They run around here in some of the dirtiest clothes that I have ever seen.  I get so disgusted with them sometimes.
Your mentioning Jay reminds me that he owes me a letter since I was the last to write him.
Finally the Company Commandment at the Service School put a stop to Sgt Elkins leaving even once Col Fargas’ orders.  So there he is stranded there for awhile, but his wife is down here with him now.
We have made arrangements to meet each other a couple times, that is, Ray and myself, but you know that he is acting almost everywhere now and he is always getting called the last minute and he also owes me a letter.  The same with Bruno who is in Burbank (Lockland) now.  Neither Mrs. Tedesco or myself have heard from home for a long time.  I returned the negatives to him with a note but have not heard from him since.  Also Whitney owes me a letter and I will write again very soon to find out.  He may have gotten a discharge with a recent cleaning up of Limited Service.  We have gotten rid of two or three of them here.
Well they made three more Majors here yesterday so suppose that there will be a wild party at the Officers Club now.  One of them is a very good man from Georgia and quite well to do from what I gather.  His cousin is Governor of Georgia, and his wife is a very nice lady. True Southeners.
Well have just about run out of things to write about so will draw this to a close and wish you all my love.

Stanley

 Inserted in the envelope this letter was mailed in were two pages seemingly out of synchronization.  No explanation why.


No comments:

Post a Comment