Wednesday, January 4, 2012

April 1, 1943

PFC Stanley W Safford
Co "B" Med Serv Sch.
Barracks No 3
Ft Sam houston
Texas


April 1, 1943

My dear Mother:

Here I am again in the Service Club library again starting a letter to you which I should have started a couple days ago, but we again have been so very busy in the Ward that when I finally get all done and get home and cleaned up.  I do not have so very much time for writing and getting proper amount of sleep although I am not far behind on my letters.  I wrote one to Muriel last night and will enclose this letter the last one I received from her. All our of a clear blue sky she mentioned Nelson saying that he would get her an engagement ring his next pay day which is today I believe.  I wonder how she happened to tell me about it without mentioning it to you also or maybe she has since she last wrote me.  She more than likely will not show you my letter to her. But let me know the results if any.  Anyway I will keep it up.
We had an open house last Monday celebrating the Second Anniversary of the Medical Service School.
We had competitive field drill and a baseball game between the officers and the attached men of Co “A”.  The Co “A” men won by a large margin.  We also had open house in the ward and I did not get out of there until about eight because of the mess that had to be cleaned up and for some reason I was all alone.  Everyone else except the Sgt suddenly were taken down with a headache etc.  The same old story whenever there is work of any kind around.  In the cleaning up I missed a very good chicken dinner so I hear but the other two seemed to get there all right and eat. Then one of them wonders why one of the boys that came here with him is now a Sgt and he still a Pfc.
You mentioning the spinal meningitis going around, well we have had some of it here also, but none of late. For awhile they sent everybody with even a temp to the hospital which of course is a very good idea.  Altho we were not quarantined but we were in danger of it for a while.
That was quite a comic article in your last letter about the dog.
The second bunch of bulbs you speak of our very likely Twink, they are one of my favorite.
Is the pigeon still coming back.  And are you feeding it.  You know here the army has one of the largest pigeon lofts that I have ever seen.  They are all in movable trailers with outdoor cages which may be set up.  They certainly have a pretty bunch of birds.
I was told by the nurse today that I would be here another month but I shall wait and see, you know a person can never tell about the army.
Today we had a dress parade for a Colonel who is head of the General hospital in Atlanta Georgia and before that he and Captain Rosenbaum stood in on my class for a minute or two asking questions.  We sure have enough visiting ranks around here.  They are in and out all the time.
I think your decision about a suit is a wise one for as you say they may be hard to get later.
You mentioning letters from them in the East. Aunt Dell said in her last letter that Cousin Gertrude was a society lady therefore she did not see her very often which may be quite true.  I shall have to very soon write her again and also Aunt Mai Belle. Perhaps send them an Easter card also.
There is sure an interesting article in this week’s Time about how Hoover (ex president) is telling what and how the agriculture of the country has been treated. Quite good in my opinion.
We are going to have the class we are having this week to fill out the term for this group and I will be more than glad to get rid of them.  Some of them are excellent while there are two jews there that will turn anyone’s hair grey.  I had better close now and hoping this finds you well, dear mother. Give my regards to dad and rust.

Your son,
Stanley



No comments:

Post a Comment