Thursday, January 26, 2012

July 9, 1943


Cpl Stanley W Safford
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas


July 9, 1943

My dear Mother

It pains me quite a bit to have to write you this letter this evening for it will bring you some news which you very likely will not enjoy very much.  The sad news is that my furlough has been postponed until at least August 15 when this thirteen weeks training program is over.  They have found more excuses and stories of indispensability and all the other things in the book.  Also the fact that I am a non com and that I should be here to wind up the program.
Of course there may be a chance that I may be able to get out of going on the bivouac by taking my leave then also there may be another rating for myself to wear home.
But I am quite sure that I would just as soon come home now as then, but again a month is not too far off, so it will not be such a long wait if the time goes as fast as it has since the first of the month.  I have never been busier in my whole life and I never seem to get done and then I am trying to study for my OCS examination.  This new major has certainly got some screwy ideas and is so particular about things and we are making out more forms and more charts than I have ever seen before.
And as one of the lieutenant said this morning: “More work for you”. He does not have much use for the major and a few others don’t either.  They all of them, that is the big shots here, are all crazy.  The more impractical, the better.
What do you want me to do with the money order?  If you do not object I think that I will keep it and use it if I need it when I do come home.  I have thought some of starting an account here of some kind to put the bulk of my money in and then I will not b so tempted to spend it.
My leave when I do get it, will be fifteen days, which should allow me quite a bit of time at home and believe me I am going to spend a good big percentage of it at home and not all of it out gadding around because I can do that here where I don’t get any home life.  I can’t see any sense in going home to gad around.
Will you call or drop Joseph a line about my change in plans and anyone else that may be interested.
I received a very nice long letter from Mrs. Matson today along with yours.
I have had the Army Service Forces insignia put on just about all my clothes now.  It is the one with the Blue Star surrounded by white which is surrounded by red, rather nice looking.  Hope that they are still nice looking when I come home.
You may also call Miss Mosher and tell her of my change in plans.
I was quite surprised to hear of Leland and Marie’s child arriving so soon.  I therefore am no longer the only male heir in this end of the family.  What I am heir to I don’t know tho.
Well I had better begin thinking of going to bed because it is getting late and tomorrow is another day and inspection.
Now, please don’t feel bad or very because a month or five weeks is not so terribly far off and the time will be here before we realize it.
I shall write you a letter tomorrow and try and answer last few letters.  Good night, with lots of love, and help me hope the time flies between now and then.

Your son, sending you his love,
Stanley


Note from Stanley’s Mom, Grace WHELCHEL SAFFORD
"I want to tell you that on Tuesday of this week was the funeral of Philip GEIB, your father’s Aunt Edith’s husband.  They lived in Chicago.  He had been sick for several years but confined to the home only the past year.  His body was brought here[1] for burial."
The family tree where I found this picture is found at http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/21888215/person/1178463617?ssrc=

[1] Los Angeles, CA



Note: for more information on the Army Service Forces insignia, visit  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Service_Forces 

No comments:

Post a Comment