Sunday, January 29, 2012

September 2 (1943)


Cpl Stanley W Safford
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

September 2

My dear Mother:

Just a note to let you know that as far as I know now I will set out on my furlough Wednesday morning the eighth.  I will buy my ticket Saturday and will have everything in readiness to leave Tuesday so that there will be no delays of any kin.
Well the new regime has taken hold here and they are really taking alcohol of things right.  They broke three non coms here today and there is signs of a few more demotions to come.  They are really having a grand time of it but I hope that I can stay clear of it.  But the 1st Sgt and myself do not agree on all ideas as well as we might.
Surprise of surprises came Tuesday when I was outside and I turned around and who should I see standing there but Major Skinner who had come out to find me.  He seemed very pleased to see me but not so much pleased to get his old job back but he said that we would go at it again and do some good work we used to do.  He and I had a very nice talk the first afternoon and he revealed his feelings on the place here to me and the other things that present on his mind.  If they all here had the same views this place would run like a clock.  But they will get around to it in time.  I suppose or at least hope so.
It has rained here all day and things are really damp and all muddy, that is everything and my clothes are a mess as everything else is.  They draw up moisture overnight and they feel as tho they had been washed out and still wet when I put them on.  And the tent developed a nice slice which does not improve things any either.  Well on and on I could go but the news could or can wait until I get home I will keep you posted and will let you know which train I arrive on or intend to arrive on.
So good night for now,

Love,

Your son,
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment