Saturday, January 21, 2012

May 28, 1943


PFC Stanley W Safford
5th Aux Surgical Group
Dodd Field[1]
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

May 28, 1943

My dear Mother:

It seems that time flies by faster than I want it to when it comes to the subject of getting my letters written.  I just finished typing the last of next week’s schedule and I am very glad to get that off my mind even if I have had to do it after hours.
And by the way I hope that you will soon see a change n my return title or address. So watch closely.
Well today there was a couple new bookkeepers added to the force here.  And one of them is a Jew and he has replaced another one of the bookkeepers here which is a very nice person but he has received another job out of it.  I had better not have much to do with him because he is sure not very well liked much less by myself.  He is one of the refugees from Germany.
My classes have been very good so far, if they can be used as an example they will all be very good.  Today I went up to the hospital in the sedan with the captain.  I had some forms which I wanted to get and the captain had o see someone.  About all I have to do to go somewhere is to call a car which sits out front all the time.  You see we are so far out that they take anybody anywhere any time.  We have three Ford Sedans here and two trucks.
The old colonel is due back this evening.  We sent a car up once but the train is late.  He has been back to Washington pulling the strings.  He is going to be transferred out of here and more than likely be made Brig General.  He has been in about twenty eight years.  He has no use for the outfit and made the remark that he wanted to get out of it.  We now have two majors, two captains, one first lieutenant and three second lieutenants.  None of these MC (medical Corp) (MD) seem to know anything about the management of anything and the lieutenants know not much more.  There is no more management in this place that you would find in a barnyard.
And the Sgt that one of the lieutenants brought here and made 1st Sgt knows nothing at all, it has turned out.  That is what they get for bringing in an artillery man into the Medics and then expecting him to do wonders.
I and John Langstadt took some pictures in town the other day and I hope they turn out well for I have really not had any good ones of myself taken.
I was very pleased to receive your letter the other day as I always am.
Quite surprised to hear that Leland and Marie are still around.  That shows how much they think about you.  They don’t even bother to drop you a line as tho you cared and yes I suppose he is leading quite a life with that woman of his.  And I wonder just what Florence wants or will have to say?  It would be just about like he to think of staying there for dinner or something.
Quite a joke about Richard Minus shoes etc.  Yet is cost me 2.00 to get mine fixed in town here.
You mention the amaryllis as to whether to plant it out in the yard.  Something should be done with it or it will become root bound in the pot or you may put it into a larger pot with good rich soil in it.  And you are right about it not needing planting so deeply.  I was thinking of the other amaryllis. You notice how shallow it is in the pot.  I had hoped to be able to see the flowers but I saw them at Joe’s once.  And the black Calla is very odd.  They are quite different and something for every collection.  Speaking of the amaryllis again, it would probably be better for it is a larger pot.  There it could be moved much easier, and also could be used as a house plant while in bloom only.  They make very beautiful potted plants and they do require nice light sandy soil.
Well I had better be closing now and going to bed. Good night
Once again I start and this time I will finish for I am very much determined to do so this time.
My days have gone by so fast and it seems that I never seem to get everything done that I intend on doing.
There is a new arrival at the group who is a male RN (registered nurse) and he is a very nice individual so yesterday after the rain I went up town with him and we had dinner, walked around down in the Mexican quarter for a while and I saw some of those very beautiful blue blown glasses and I am convinced that I am going to send some of them home because they are so beautiful if only to look at.  Would you like them?  Also ask Aunt Nina her opinion on how she likes that type of thing because she may get some one of these days.  We went prowling around in a couple of these stores and they certainly have some very beautiful things.  Or if I don’t get them here I am going to get a three day pass and go to Laredo and more than likely get some things there.  You will very likely be very much surprised to get a huge box of things some day.
We are getting a new officer every day or so, majors and captains and so far they are all quite nice men and very easy to get along with and very agreeable.
It rained here Friday and most of Saturday and a good half of yesterday, but it did clear up yesterday afternoon but it rained again last night. But today it cleared up and the sun came out and made things terribly sultry and they seem to hang on all night and get worse the following day.  Then it will cool off and then get worse the following couple days.
Alvin Whitney said that he would come down one of these weekends on a three day pass and we would be able to get together.  I will enjoy seeing him again as I see few of my friends because most of them are gone by the time I get up to the Service School.
Altho I did talk to Sgt Elkins today over the phone regarding some film which I would like to get for my group.
Well I shall have to close now for it is getting late and I will have to go home.  I am sending this air mail because of the delay.

Your Corporal
Stanley

You may change the title on next letter.  I wanted to surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment