Saturday, January 21, 2012

May 20, 1943


PFC Stanley W Safford
5th Aux Surgical Group
Dodd Field[1]
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

May 20, 1943

Dearest Mother:

Here I again take up my pen and will try and write you a few lines to let you know how I am getting along.
I have enjoyed myself very much the last couple of days probably because I have been busy and I learned a thing today that made me rather happy.  The captain told me he was going to see that I got another rating of some kind. What kind I don’t know.
I spent practically all day today typing out the schedule for next week.  I made the Master one in triplicate and then another one of six copies.  Of course you know everything in the army has to be made with several copies.  The one is about the length of two and a half regular size typing sheets and always at the bottom a person puts who prepared for.  And also who is to approve it.  Quite a lot of detail and extra work.
I received a very nice long letter from Joseph today and as always his letters are quite interesting and he always has so much news.
I washed my head this evening and I feel so much better now. And then tomorrow I will have it out.  My hair is getting thinner in some places for some reason.  It seems that I spend so much of my time and money on keeping up a decent appearance.  My clothes alone are quite an item. I send on the average of about two pairs of khaki to the cleaners a week and a haircut about twice a month etc etc, on it goes.
I am planning on going to the concert at the service club tomorrow evening and will then go out for dinner Sunday with a friend of mine at the Service School. Otherwise there will very likely be not too much for me to go into town for, Sgt Elkins will be back from his furlough next week and I will go in and see him.
Are you having trouble getting potatoes? The mess halls here have been unable to get them recently for some reason.
We have since Monday been having about forty civilians eat with us I our mess hall.  They are civilian employees of the army who work in the ordnance repair shop.  The army send them from place to place as they do the soldiers, but as a rule they don’t eat in the mess halls, but are able to live in town and eat there.
I have the last few days been trying quite hard to find enough material around here to give a few practical classes with but they don’t have sheets and a dozen and one others and the Captain tells me to do as I please and see who I please here regarding such things.  So I do and am having quite a time.
The captain bought me a bottle of pop yesterday he liked to have floored me because that is the first time any office ever bought me anything.  They are real people here. And some of the things they gather in here and talk about surprise me very much especially in front of an enlisted man.
I sure enjoy looking at the last pictures you sent.  The ones on the desert are rather good.  I just happened to look out and see the Indian that we have here in the company.  He is quite a character especially when he gets dressed up.
Right next door to us here is the Reception Center for this part of the country and about all they are bringing in now are a lot of young Mexicans and a few white boys.  But the largest group that live around San Antonio are Mexican.  Some of the little brats will drive you crazy if given the chance to shine your shoes, and believe me they won’t give in, they will actually get down and wipe your shoes off before you know it.  And then hold their hand out and want you to pay them something.  They certainly get on my nerves.
Enclosed you will find the receipts for my latest bond purchase and I hope that this is the last time that I shall have to go through with this mess. Also you will find two negatives which you may have developed fro me.  About five of each.  They are some that Bruno took of me out at the Lady of the Lake College[2].  I am rather curious to see them since I have not seen any to the prints.  So hurry if possible. You may forget to charge me for them, ()
Well enough for now and I shall write again soon

Your son,
Stanley




No comments:

Post a Comment