Sunday, January 29, 2012

August 29, 1943


Cpl Stanley W Safford
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

August 29, 1943

My dear Mother:

Here is going to be another one of my Sunday letters but this one will not be as long as some.  Since I have found out of my being able to come home I have been all excited and nervous forgetting all the things that I should remember for good letter writing.  But I guess you know how that is.
Fort Sam is really alive this week and as they have not only been welcoming the President General of Brazil with a Battalion or two of the 97th Division also the band.  But once again we are going to have a Division living here and that is also morning in this week-end, I can hear and see the long convoy going by on the highway outside now it has been going by far about 20 minutes already and is really loaded.  This is the 88th which is one of the new Triangular Divisions which is really supposed to be something.
I received Muriel’s letter yesterday and I liked the picture.  Altho they are nice I did not like the one of her sitting on a stool.  The others are very good of her although.
I am planning on going up to the Post Chapel this afternoon and hear a soloist with the accompaniment of an organ which should be very good also I have never been in the main chapel so I should like it very much.  I am going with the clerk n the headquarters office.
I finally finished reading “The Sun is My Undoing” and am very glad, but it will be some time before I start another book since it takes so much time.  I will send home all the Reader’s Digests that I have finished and after you have finished them you may keep them for me as more or less a library for me.
Back again I am from town and the finish of it was that after we were practically all through with the shopping of shall I say afternoon we went in for a malted milk and when we went in it it was bright and clear outside but when we came out we were quite surprised to find that it was pouring down a very wet rain and people were running for cover everywhere, but even tho it was raining it was still sultry and sticky and the windows of the bus could not be closed or we would have suffocated.
Quite a place here we have!
Well, anyway, we managed to get home here before the rain reached here and got everything all wet.  But anyway, the air is clear and fresh again after so long a time of it being so dry.  We were out the other day for a hike and the trees and shrubbery were all covered with dust.
Well the evening is growing on into night and I shall have to begin thinking of going to bed and get a good night’s sleep as I can well use it since tomorrow is Monday and the beginning of a new week in which I must get a lot done or I shall be way behind upon my return here for I doubt if the clerk will be able to grasp the job too well as he is rather rattle brained at times and I really don’t blame him any for there is really nothing here for him in the way of rating of any kind.  Well, anyway I am not going to worry myself any about it while I am away.
I will keep you posted from day to day as to my readiness of starting and also of my leaving date.  You go ahead and make any plans that you have thought of making for yourself and keep them.  Well, good night for now and I will write more later.

Lots of love, from your son
Stanley

Separate note:
Are you going to write and tell Nelson that I will be home.  I am still rather curious about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment