Tuesday, January 31, 2012

October 3, 1943


Sgt Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

October 3, 1943

My Dear Mother:

Here it is again Sunday and another letter to you.  For the first time in quite awhile the sun has come up in the morning nice and bright.
Will the story is now that the First Auxiliary Surgical Group was flown over to England when they went over.  I am still waiting for a letter from the boy that I knew in the group.
Last evening the clerk in HdQ and myself went up town and he bought a couple things to take home with him when he goes this coming Monday night.  He is going to be there in LA because his aunt lives there in Hollywood.  He is the one who is Jewish and has only been here in this country about four or five years.  Don’t be surprised if he calls you up, he mentioned doing so.  He bought a couple of those hand painted wooden trays and also a couple day hand painted piggy banks which were both exceptionally pretty especially the bright colors on the trays.  I think that I will send Ann Reid next door a little bank for I think that she would like one of them although they have to be broken when you wish to get the money out of them but they are so inexpensive.  While down there I also bought a couple of those very beautiful feather picture cards which I am going to enclose one of in this letter.  You will like them. I am going to get some more and have you keep them for me. So that someday I may frame them.
Well Major Skinner kept his promise this time as you have noticed by this time by the return address.
The clipping which you enclosed in your last letter about the heat in L.A. was a nice one, but I believe that it was about Thursday that I heard they were having a heat wave in L.A.
 I wish that I had had a lot more time at home when I could have enjoyed my phonograph and the records which I have and also those which you brought while I have been gone, and I could have had a lot more time for the garden also.
I received a card from Jay the other day and it was one of Luccas(?) so evidently he had eaten there for he spoke of not having the same waitress and of also having more olives.
The ointment is spelled Whitfeilds[1] I believe but I will get the correct spelling later.  Also I will get those things sent to Aunt Nina (Blue glass) before long.
I did accomplish the writing of twelve letters this last week-end and still have a few more to write although nothing urgent.  I will write Cousin Gertrude in the next couple days since I received a letter from her before I came home so it is about time that I write her one.
If you get a box of wild pecans one of these days don’t be surprised for one of these days I am going out down along the creek and gather a few.  They are just beginning to ripen and they should be very good for the wild ones always have a task which is entirely different.
The trees around here are now beginning to look as tho winter were really coming because they have shed all their small leaves and all that is left is the large one.  And the lawns around the large homes are beginning to become covered with them.  No longer is the Crape Myrtle in bloom and they are also beginning to look quite ragged.
I went down also yesterday and looked for some more elephants for Aunt Maibelle but they had none which were different than what I had already sent her. SO I will look somewhere else and try and find some that are different but not too expensive.  Could you sometime when down in Chinatown get a hold of a small package of Jessamine tea and sent it to me.  I was telling Mrs. Tedesco about it and she said that she had never tasted any of it.  What brought the subject up was she asked me if I liked hot tea and I told her yes.  She then said that she was going to have me and a couple others over some rainy afternoon for tea.
The picture of her in the blazer which I sent you, are very poor of her.  But you know what some of these amateur photographers are.  While on the subject she has a very pretty set of Blue Glass wine bottle and glasses which she bought down at the same place which those of mine came from.  She also has a wonderful lace table clot which is very old which she used at one of the buffet suppers I went to.
Well the afternoon drags on and I shall soon run out of news.  Major Kuhns was just in and is on his way out to pick up his father who has never had a plane ride out, at the airport for when he heard of the baby’s arrival he decided to fly down.
Give my regards to Aunt Nina and I will close now with lots of love,

Your son,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment