Sunday, January 29, 2012

August 15, (1943)


Cpl Stanley W Safford
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

August 15

My dear Mother

It is here a very warm and sultry afternoon which I hope will be broken up soon because there is a nice mild breeze coming up in the distance or shall I say it is here now.  These breezes of the evening they tell me, are a sigh of the fall coming on. I have written two other letters today: one of them to Muriel who I have not written to for quite a while.
The new Major which has taken over the P&T Office here is a very nice person to work for, before he took over he was around here but I never had the occasion to do anything for him.  He does not seem to know how to take a hold of things and when I am gone he will leave me a note saying “at swimming pool” so he doesn’t seem to worry to any great extent and leaves things more or less up to me.
Sgt Ryan had a clash here the other day and he asked the major for backing and he got it even tho it required him to tell the 1st Sgt where to get off.  So around and around we go here day after day, and the Lt Col sets placidly by and lets them fight even taking sides.  Yes I guess that it is quite a sight to see the Blair children and then acting.  I do not suppose that I would recognize a lot of them on the street.
Had I mentioned before that I had started to read “The Sun is My Undoing[1], very good but entirely too long for me to start another one like it.  It has some 1200 pages.
Yes the Air Corps is really the only thing that is making great advances towards getting ahead and we have had quite a few from here leave and nothing can step them since tho Air Corps has first choice on anything anywhere.  The Col made the remark that he would have nothing but a bunch of morons and below 60 IQ if it kept up.  I would like to have told him a thing or two at that time for instance if he looked out for the good ones which he had here he may be better off.
I know the name of the cactus which you speak of but can not recall it just now. There is a very large family of them and they all (are) very attractive.
You ask about the OCS affair.  I have not heard as yet but from what I hear conditions are very favorable for me and before Major Skinner left he said that he was in high hopes for me on it.  One of his friends here, a Lt., told me that it was a secret but that Maj Skinner was also trying to leave.  So you see we have quite an organization here.  Just one big happy family (ha ha!)
Last week I had occasion to work with the new head nurse of the group and she is like all the rest who will not acknowledge any soldier as knowing anything but she will and is careful of me and Sgt Ryan.  She is a 1st Lt ANC (Army Nurse Corps).
We never have 33 of the 132 officers which we are supposed to have and they are coming in groups of two or three every day or so.  Some of them are really nice but others never amounted to anything in civilian life and are big shots here and they are unbearable at times.  I have a notion to go up to the post this evening and visit for awhile and then come home and go to bed and get some sleep which I don’t think that I will ever catch up on until I get back home.
The other day one of the tents down the row caught on fire and caused quite a bit of confusion.  It started by the light wires rubbings the top of the tent where they come in.  One of the boys took the fire extinguisher and shot it at the flame and the electricity came down it and knocked him down.
Just recently they examined the limited service boys here and are going to send them home.  They have, you know, disbanded Limited Service from here on.  Then are fairly reliable rumors that they are going to bring another Division in here the latter part of the month.  I will hate that because it will make things so crowded again going and coming from town and all the other inconveniences that it will cause.  Fort Sam is so beautiful when it is not all crowded.  It is such a large place that they have room for a lot of lawn and trees around.  And people always ruin these.
Well, the European situation is beginning to look better every day and I do not believe that Italy can last much longer. And Sweden latest move is very encouraging since it shows that Hitler is losing face in Europe, or at least that is my opinion.
We recently got in ten new fellows who are not quite up to par but are better than a lot of them that we already have.  The selective Service is just about dwindled away. That is a way from good men anyway.
Had I mentioned we going out to a very good seafood place here in town the other evening and of how good a meal it was.  Half a lobster and some delicious iced tea.
We took a very nice long hike the other day and for a change it was fairly cool so therefore we had a real nice walk.  We passed a good sized hog ranch which simply had hundreds of them.  The first time I knew of them raising any hogs of any kind down here.  The hay and other crops of that kind have been mown some time ago since the heat ripens it so very early.  Everything is all dry again.  It turned green after the last little shower we had but does not last very long.
We had for lunch today some fried okra.  Did you ever taste any of it?  It is very good and adds a little something different to our diets, which never change very much.
Did the Spider Lily bloom that is in the front of the house this year.  They have a couple very beautiful clumps of them down here in town.  The Crape Myrtle and the Oleanders are still blooming quite profusely.  They have so many different colors of both down here.  Otherwise the beauty of the trees is just about spent since their leaves have begun to look quite old and withered and the hurricane didn’t improve it either.
I am getting quite thirsty for something cold so think that I shall close for now and will write again very soon.  I am just going to make time from now on.
So you take good care of yourself and don’t worry about me.  Give my regards to the rest of (the) family and Goodbye for now.

All my love,
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment