Friday, January 20, 2012

May 17, 1943


PFC Stanley W Safford
5th Aux Surgical Group
Dodd Field[1]
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

May 17, 1943

I decided to buy some tablet stationary but could find no other.

Dear Mother,

Here I am going to try and write you a line before going to bed.  I took some laundry and cleaning into town today or rather this evening and when a person does that from out here, they had better decide on spending the entire evening there, then I stopped back by the Service Club and surprised Mrs. Tedesco very much since she had expected to find me gone upon her return from Ft Worth where her husband is stationed.  Well I am beginning to think that I am going to like my job here very much since I have had a day of it.  I had my first class today which lasted about one and a half hours and the captains, that is the two of them, sat there and listened in, they afterwards told me that is was very good.
They all know m around here.  The lieutenant and the non coms. Even one of the corporals started to call me Sir, this morning while they were putting up a tent which we will use as a classroom.
The captain, lieutenant and myself were standing on the sidelines looking on.
Well, good night, more tomorrow

May 18, 1943

Here I am back again for a few minutes before starting to work.
All of the non coms and all the including myself are all looking for the T4 Sgt ratings that they are going to hand out, but most of us will very likely only get T5 Cpl and have to look forward to the other later.
I went to church twice Sunday.  I discovered that they have a very beautiful little chapel upon the hill above here.  The interior is all stained wood and the benches are of stained wood also.  But the most beautiful part of it is that they have an organ.  This is the first army chapel that I have been in that has had one.  The chaplain there is a Lt Col which is very rare for most of them do not rank that high.  Then on my way out I noticed the Bulletin board which said began recital 5:30 till 6:00, and as you can well guess I was there for both organ music and services afterwards.  In the morning services one half the church was negroes.  The chaplain asked them if they would sing, which they did.  And I never liked spiritual until I heard those that they sang, they were almost entirely different (from) what we usually hear over the radio etc. And they sang it all so beautifully well together. No discord or disunion anywhere.
A peculiar thing that when I first went in I was in hopes of them playing Ave Maria and I had no sooner sat down (that) he did play it and after that I was in hopes of him playing Annie Laurie which he did.  I keep on at this rate and you are going to think   that I have turned a religious convert of some kind.
Well we have sat here this morning and done not a thing but try bandages on the officers and myself.  The lieutenants here are certainly a very good group of men and they seem to take a little interest in a person.  I just finished typing some papers on the small portable[2] that we have here and it certainly in no way compares with machine which you have at home.
I also just finished signing my new Bond allotment papers, six signatures in all.  They are made out this time with you as co-owner instead of beneficiary, this way it will be much easier for you, in case you need the money or I need the money in a hurry.
What do you think about it?
Well here it is after supper and again I am here in the tent office, only this time for the purpose of writing.  And there will be no one here to bother me unless it is one of the clerks and that is very unlikely for they are all but one of them gone.
When I returned from my class today I found your letter of the 17th laying on the table I use.  Since I am here in the office I get my mail brought in to me. And another distinction is that I am the only PFC in the company now.  There are a couple of others but they are away at some school at Brooke General now.  Well one of the clerks was just over and we have say here and talked for a while on a little bit of everything, ratings etc, then I decided to get up and go outside and let down the curtains.  The tent has a board wall up to about four feet and then above that there is screen and the curtains let down over the screen and the wall both.  I am now inside writing again.
The pictures which you sent were very good.  The one of Muriel and Dad is quite good. And there are a couple very good ones of you.  But in one of them you look rather tired, which you very likely are; you had better begin taking better care of yourself and quit your worrying about me and everything else.  I am getting along quite well and very likely much better than a lot of others.  I feel so sorry for some of the kids that I see around me here, and they are the ones who really need the guiding they usually fall in with these older fellow and then there is trouble for them and they try and keep up with the fast life that some of the other fellows lead.
Say, is that small bunches of grapes that I see in the background of the pictures, and your suits (Muriel and yourself) look very good?
And I do not want you to worry about writing for I know that you are very busy so please don’t lose any sleep trying to write to (me) or anyone else.
The lilly thing you speak of is one that Joseph gave me.  It is a hybrid Amaryllis or Hippeastrum and is supposed to be a very beautiful red one that is if it turns out like the one that I saw at his house.  After blooming you can set it out in the ground with the top of the bulb about five inches below the surface and the yellow callas always did so well for me at least. I never saw any in anybody else’s yard that seemed to do so well.  Don’t let the lantana take the place.  I often thought of forcing it up instead of out, in that way hide the neighbors.  You mention the heat here.  It not only gets hot but very sultry and we all run around here just about too well.
Just what seems to be the matter with Nina? Not enough rest more than likely.
Well I believe that I have said just about enough for now and had better get this on its way since I will send this free and try to keep them going to you.  It looks like the trees on the desert could be topped also to promote lower growth.
Lots of love,

Stanley
PS (on front page – And I like your hat.  When I come home I am going to get you another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment