Thursday, March 1, 2012

June 26, 1945


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Marseille Area
June 26, 1945

Dearest Mother:

After the time has rolled by so rapidly, I realize it has been ten days since last I wrote you.   But after a few days here I realize there is nothing to write of.  One day is followed by another one just as hot and dry as the preceding one.  I never saw such a place before that lacked so much as this place does.  All that saves us is the ocean (which I can see) breeze which cools things off some.  The day before yesterday the last package you sent me with the hair oil, Vicks etc arrived in good shape.  The candied walnuts were as always good and I do appreciate you sending them.  In this weather they are the only kind of candy that will keep.  All of the chocolate melts into a nice mess.
Have here your letters No 18, 23,24 and your V-Mail No26 telling of Mrs. Miners good fortune of Richard coming home.  Also have letters from Joseph, Jay and Mr. Tedesco who is no longer in Ft Worth.  They are now in Okla. Just over the Texas line.  She received the bottle of perfume which I sent her and she really liked it.
On the roll of film you received, do not forget to have prints made for me.
The passes to the Riviera which I mentioned previously fell through as everything else does here.  So we are here for a vacation. 
When you see Marshall be sure to give him my regards.  He has owed me a letter for some time.  I suppose he now has many other things to think of tho. And I do not blame him.
Sorry to hear of you catching a cold.  I have been lucky in that respect and have not had one since I was in Holland last October.  And that was severe enough for me to last for some time.
I can well understand the ordeal of Jay being out to dinner.  He wears anyone out if they have to be around him for a very long period of time.  He has never told me about writing him.  When he does he will really get a piece of my mind.  He wrote of Nina and Bill being there also.
Glad to hear of Kathleen being married again. Ann as you say needs a father and a better home than she now has.
I had often tried to get a gun for Dad, but with no luck. And then they would have to be carried around with me and all that so I never considered it worth it.  And the clipping recently received is just about what I thought would happen some day.
How high are the fuchsias by the steps?  I supposed they have really grown.
I gave up on the German.  I would rather have them learn English which most of them are willing to do as they think th Americans will be around for some time.
We are now off the essential list of Army personnel, but our status is still unchanged.
The story of Jay and the tablecloth was very amusing.
Did the “Easter Lilly” in the shade garden do anything this year?  It should bloom this Fall if it came up at all.  All the roses needed a good pruning and it always does them good.
I am a little ahead on Air Mail stamps just now but I will have for them soon when I will not be receiving any from you.
Yes, I remember Rev. Gaines and I always liked him.  He used to come to the garage while I used to be there.
Yes I wrote V-Mails to everyone I owed letter
Well about all for now and until again from the Dust Bowl”

No comments:

Post a Comment