Thursday, March 1, 2012

July 4, 1945 - France


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Marseille Area, France - 17
July 4, 1945

Dearest Mother:

Again this afternoon I will write you a few lines and let you know I am still here, and have not been blown away or covered with dust, which the air has been full of the last three days.  Everything from fine sand to particles of gravel have been in the air making everything miserable.
In regards to your questions about my preference of directions.  I think as you do that it would be better to go direct there than home.  It would be much harder the way home first.
Our unit is changing quite rapidly.  Major Grubin is gone.  Major Kuhns is leaving and a good many of the other familiar faces are going.  It will not be the same.
The candy covered walnuts are certainly good.  They have kept when all else has melted.
Received a letter from Muriel telling me of our recent school etc.  One today from Frances and a couple days ago one from Miss Mosher’s niece.
Yes, you are right about us seeing planes in abundance over here.  They have gone over for hours at times in the past, especially when we were near Eindhoven.
Tales are rampant over here whenever Patton is mentioned.  A couple o my friends here worked on teams with the 3rd Army Hospitals.  He is quite a character.
Have heard no further from Ed Pfan(?) or Herbert Shaffer.  They both owe me letters.  One which I wrote while still at Ft Sam and Herbert was sent a Xmas card last Xmas.  I can no longer be bothered with that type of people.  So busy themselves.  And Jay is another one.  He can just wait.  I am in no mood to write most of the time recently.  Condition here are not at all favorable for writing.
I again giving lectures.  My first one was Tuesday, entitled “History of China”, others will follow later on Japan etc.
Muriel also tells me of Blair’s house being sold and to whom . Witzel really has his nerve.
I want you to send me my brown swimming trunks (short style) and a good pair of sunglasses, which you may have trouble getting.  You will have to pay a good price for them but you can charge to my account.  Polaroid are good ones. Use your own judgment of course.  Do not send until I ask again.
You should have received the 1 June money order by now.
I am going to make plans to see Lloyd Whelchel soon if possible.  I wonder is I will recognize him.  Tell you the details later.  Don’t you have his last address.
Enclosed you will find some negatives which you can have prints of each made and send them to me when I ask for them.  There will be more to follow these.  They are some taken at Bad Salzuflen and Bielefeld.
I am looking forward to getting another letter from you today, as I have not received one from you for some time.
I suppose Richard has reached home by now.  Give him my regards.
Well all for now.  Hope this reaches you all in good health and happy.

All my Love,
Your son
Stanley

10(ten) negatives enclosed.

No comments:

Post a Comment