Friday, March 2, 2012

Aug 8, 1945 - France


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Marseille Area, France - 22
Aug 8, 1945

Dearest Mother:

Sitting here in the doorway of the dispensary, looking out over the camp toward the water.  I can see a very beautiful sunset, which is quite a bit like a California sunset in a way.  Have been C2 here all day and have done practically nothing other than waste time.
Kupfer is going to the Riviera tomorrow along with some others.  It should be quite nice there, but perhaps a little warm.  I did not care for it as I want relaxation and a chance to get away from GIs for a change. And I could not do it here on a trip of that kind.  We have never really had any decent passes as other organizations have had and a lot of them have been here a much shorter time than we have.

Aug 9, 45
Well the news here today sounds quite interesting and it begins to look as tho the war may be shortened some. From where I sit I can still see no sooner release for me.
As the radio states, the main topic of discussion here is the Atom bomb[1].  Wild stories certainly start easily on something of that type.
The other day I went into town with another fellow here and we went out on the motor boat cruise around the bay.  It was quite interesting and it made it possible for us to see a lot more of the bay.  They have an extremely beautiful coastline here and it looks much nicer from the ocean.
The other night we had a very severe rain and lightning storm here.  It was by far the heaviest rain I have ever seen.  In a short time we had a stream running thru the tent.  It at least kept the dust down for a couple of days, giving us some relief from that for a while.
I have seen three or four fairly good shows recently.  One was “Together Again” with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer.  I thought it very good and recommend it to you for a good show.  The other was “Practically Yours” with Claudette Colbert.  It was a very amusing story and well acted.  The other, which perhaps you would not care for was “Salome When She Danced”.  Very colorful and very expensively produced. With  nothing else to do a show provides good entertainment in the outdoor theaters here, since we have no lights in our tents.  I grow weary of writing since we have had no mail for some time.
I can think of no more to write of so I will close sending my love to you all there.

All my Love,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment