Thursday, March 1, 2012

July 9, 1945 - France


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Marseille Area, France - 18
July 9, 1945

Dearest Mother:

Have here your letters 27, 28, 29 which I have received recently since my last letter home to you.
Have here your acknowledgement of the money order of June1. Another one is enclosed in this letter ($50).  I had intended to ask you if you had ever received the two sheets of Dutch stamps which were mailed some time ago.  I do not recall you ever mention them.
I gather that Maibelle would in due time get tired of her relatives if she moved up there so near to them.
Yes, I have been told all about Muriel’s new school and perhaps it will be of value to her, but my idea of models is not very good.  Most of them do not have too good a reputation.
Yes, the 9th Army headquarters is on their way home.  We no longer belong to them tho.
Yes Neuhaldensleben was the nearest Berlin I got.  I was there on V-E Day at an Evacuation Hospital which took care of a lot of the returning Prisoners.  They were all very interesting to talk with.  They took care of several hundred of them.
Regarding our group here we know nothing other than hearsay and that has always been the same.  Washington has no idea of what the nurses really are.
The Edmond Dantes cell in the Château d'If
I can well imagine the Jacaranda tree from the rear porch and think how beautiful it must be.  One would be very nice in front.  Two would be too many.  It of course would be a lot of work to prepare the curb for one of them or anything else.
Yes I remember the boy who used to mow lawns around there.  He seemed a very nice there.  He seemed a very nice boy.  I believe once before you mentioned him being in the Merchant Marines.
I can well imagine the horse races and everyone out there blowing their money.  I quite often think of the last races we were all to at Ponoma. Remember?
I wrote a letter to the Dutch family the other day.  I also had their address here with me.  Thanks for the other one you enclosed.  I got the stamps from them.
Glad to hear of my mail making such good time after my arrival here.
Yesterday I returned from a trip to Marseille, and the Island “Chateau d’If[1] (deef) which is not far from the harbor.  We took a small boat out and spent about three hours there.  The Island s where they kept Edward Dantes (count of Monte Cristo[2]) and also the Man in the Iron Mask [3]along with several other notable people in French history.  The Chateau was built in 1524 and has been used for a prison up into the 1800s.
Sorry to hear of you not being able to get all the cherries you wanted.  I will look forward to the pie tho.
Back again to yesterday trip.  The water was beautiful and around the island it was a beautiful green.  A very delightful and cool breeze was blowing which made the boat ride very enjoyable.  On our way back we stopped to see “Valley of Decision” the new Greer Garson picture.  Enjoyed it very much and think she done a wonderful job of acting.
You perhaps are suffering under a false picture of where I am.  You have the area night but this is certainly not the Riviera o what I thought the Riviera would be if it is.  Most of that is further east along the coast.  The army certainly could not have picked any place any nearer like Injo Kern[4] than this.  And conditions here certainly are none too favorable for a pleasure resort.  We can see the water from here but nothing ever comes from there other than dust.  Look on a mop and you will see what I mean.
Well all for now and I hope you all in good health.  Enclosed you will find seven more negatives and the money order.
All my Love always,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment