Friday, March 2, 2012

3 Aug 1945 - France


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Marseille Area, France - 21
3 Aug 1945

Dearest Mother:

As afore said, our mail has ceased coming, so I have not heard from you for some time.
The weather here has been nice for all but one day when we had a violent wind and a lot of dust all over everything as a result.  That day I took off for town and remained there all day but returned to find no difference.
Had intended on meeting Sgt Olson in town and going for a boat trip, but the sea was much too rough.  He was transferred from the unit here along with a few other high pointers and is stationed not far from here at one of the general hospitals.  Had I mentioned previously of him being a father shortly after the first of the year?
Have just about given up learning Bridge as there is no one here who really knows all there I about it.  Perhaps would be very interesting otherwise.
My friend in the Evacuation hospital which you may recall is on his way home after being here only since January.  They are being redeployed thru the states.
Kupfer and I are debating on one of two languages to take Spanish or Portuguese.  I am for some reason in favor of the latter.  It seems to appeal to me a little more.  It would be much easier for me and for him of two work together on something of that type.
Near here are some old Roman ruins which should be quite interesting.  I would like to go out there sometimes also.  This district is quite ancient in historic value.
There are districts here in Marseille which would put a person in mind of the motion picture “Algiers”.  The narrow streets and the steep narrow stairways.  I suppose the houses are a mass of walls, tunnels and doorways, the same as any “Casbah” would be.
Well this is about all for now so I close sending you all there my Love, from here.

Your Son,

Stanley 

No comments:

Post a Comment