Thursday, March 1, 2012

July 19, 1945 - France


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Marseille Area, France - 19
July 19, 1945

Dearest Mother:

Another eight days have gone by and I have not touched pen or paper during that time, so decided to finally put my mind to a few lines this afternoon.
During the past week I visited Marseille once and as usual came home quite tired as you know how I walk once I get started.  I visited the Cathedral there and was really quite impressed by it.  It stands atop a hill overlooking the entire city and the bay.  A person can se everything from the front portice.  Inside is some of the most beautiful mosaic work I have ever seen.  Most of it done with gold and silver with the other colors inlaid.  After the cathedral I went to the theater to see Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy in “No Love”.  I did not think much of it.
The statue of Mary and child which is many feet high and weighs 5-6 ton atop the church is one of the most beautiful things I have yet seen.  It is all gold gilded and may be seen for a good many miles in all directions.  On a close bright day the statue glitters in the sunlight.
Receiving a letter from Jay telling me of a great triumph the dinner was etc, etc, but was very amused to hear your version of it.  I certainly do not envy you on such parties.
Sorry to hear of you having more trouble with the Buick after getting it from the shop.  Hope you are able to get it in good shape again.
Yes I can well imagine the neighbors and the garden which they will have in that run down place.  It has never had any real good care and it will take some time before they get any real results.  I am very much afraid that the neighborhood is going to the dogs.
Has Richard Miner said what he was going to do upon his return to the Air corps? They may keep him right there n the states somewhere.
Have received your letters 30 and 31.  The latter was received yesterday in very good time.
Was glad to hear that Dad had a nice birthday.  I had wanted to get him something but I am in no place here for that.
While in town I got some French “Greeting cards of no great value, but they are something to have for people o their birthdays etc.  Well have to get a couple off for Marshall and Joseph, or at least ready to mail, since I very likely will not have the chance when their birthday comes around.
It must seem very strange for you to have children around the age of Virdens.  It very likely does you a lot of good tho.
Glad to know what you think of Marshall and wife.  I rather suspected by reading between the lines of his last letter that all was not well.  George always said Marshall needed someone to cheer him up so maybe he now has his wish.  I sincerely hope Marshall will be happy and will not regret his marriage.  He may have decided that him being alone was no good so he may have decided to get married in a hurry.  He never liked to be alone.
I can just see you in the kitchen canning cherries, apricots etc just as you used to do.  Why don’t you low down a little?
I mailed a package yesterday containing some books.  One of which is a book of prints which Olson gave me.  The others are some children’s books which you can put away for me except for three of them which are inscribed on the inside of front cover to Jon.  I want you to take the prices off them and sometime while out that way take them in.  I think there is one large and two small ones for him. Then there is some picture postcards for my collection.
The weather here has been very hot and as always a lot of dust blowing around.  I wish we would have a real downpour.
Glad to hear of the painting arriving in goo shape, but have begun to wonder what has happened to parachute silk and jackets which were sent some time before.
Quite surprised to hear of you all being invited to Richard Miners wedding.  Really must be quite an affair.  Where are they going to live?
Perhaps it would be a good idea to again restock the rabbits and start again.  Better results perhaps would be had.
The combs, watch band etc were all in good shape and the olive spread was very good on some crackers Ryan had one evening.
The fuchsia very likely got too much water or not enough or some borer got into the stock.
I am looking forward to seeing the pictures you mention.
http://images-02.delcampe-static.net/img_large/auction/000/103/958/545_001.jpg
Col. MacIntyre is no longer with us and I hear that he is on his way home at the hospital he was at is being dissolved.  So all Good Luck to him for he deserves it.  A lot of the others have also gone and the group is not the same.
Well all for this time and I hope you are all in good health and do enjoy yourselves when you can.

All my Love,
Your son,
Stanley

Enclosed one (1) postcard of chateau d’If

No comments:

Post a Comment