Saturday, March 20, 2010

March 27, 1943

March 27, 1943

My very dear Mother:

I received your air mail letter today and surely hope you will forgive me for not writing you way before this. But in a way it is due to the sickness around that has caused me not to write you sooner. As I believe I mentioned we are very short of instructors because of one thing and another. And then I have had those exceptionally wonderful classes in the evening about three times this last week and when I finally went back to the barracks after the classes which usually ended about eight I was usually very much ready for bed and some sleep so that I could awaken early enough in the morning and again get ready for another day.
Besides the classes I have had other trying incidents to combat with. People I don't like but get along with. And they usually tire me quite a bit, the Sargent and all other are very swell people to work with but the nurse has funny ideas at times and then above all that the long lines that a person has to compete with to get anything around here. And then the Colonel got the brilliant idea of collecting for the Red Cross last pay day so when finally I got done with the line I had to take the class ones and when done with that I was ready for bed. I donated to the R.C. quite awhile ago to buy them off me and that is the first time that I know of that a soldier is asked for donations. It burns me up. Have you as yet excused any sign of those bonds? I am beginning to become very much disgusted with the whole affair. They take it out of my pay each month. This month I only received $25 which I cannot see because it has already increased in all other cases. Last month I only received $30. So if there is any chance of a furlough I shall have to wire for a little money. My cleaning bills are beginning to run higher because of my wearing my good clothes every day. Although don't take it that I am broke for I am not, it is only that I regret not being able to have some money to send home for I am very much afraid that my bills are going to increase in larger amounts as the months go by. And I did not plan on being in this long without saving some money. Although the bonds may amount to that if and when you ever get them. I also wanted to buy some Am T&T by slow degree of saving for it. I suppose my income tax took care of that for awhile. When and if you get a chance, would you do me the favor of making up a statement for me of what I owe you and also what kind of a balance I have left of the money that I left upon my entry into the army. And I will endeavor to get it straightened out soon. One of my recent expenditures was the book on birds of America by Audubon that I recently spoke of. So upon my completing the looking through it I will send it home to you.
My watch is in the jewelers for a day or so because I somehow chipped the crystal and there were already signed of it gaining some. So might as well hand it done now as later before the crack increased any more.
You speaking of the Victory Garden dad has dug up and planted you know I always would have liked to have had that area dug up. Only it was easier to take care of in lawn than in a garden. What kind of seed did he plant (what brand). I also suppose Grandpa is right out there all the time with the hose etc.
The article or clipping you sent me regarding C Hirsch selling horse meat was very interesting. Although it will very likely be soon a very common thing.
You had not mentioned dad wearing glasses all the time. I really saw very little of him wearing glasses. He only wore them in the evening while reading.
I received yesterday a letter from Miss Brode, Frances Whelchel and Ed Pfan. Of course they each owed them to me especially Ed Pfan in fact. I wrote him about two months go and it seems that he has just taken his time about writing and when he finally got around to it he didn't write much either and no news at all. All about some show or other, and rather sarcastic along with his very poor letter. So believe me he is certainly going to wait until I get around to it to answer. I see by his return address that he is now a PFC. He had a few rather catty remarks about my PFC in his last letter.
I also received a letter from Marshall the other day. His letters to me never seem to tell me the answers of the questions I would like answered. Although he had some more nice drawings at the top of the pages again. Very clever. When I got his letter it merely had the return address on it and I was rather puzzled about who it was from until opening it. Because I had forgotten all about his address being that.
Miss Mosher wrote me and told me that she had received the roses. She always writes such nice interesting letters and always full of news that a person is interested in hearing about.
I have not as yet received any news from the Matsons but suppose they are both busy. He is very likely far behind in his work at the nursery. So I can hardly blame him for not wanting to sit down and write any letters or otherwise in the evening.
I sure hope that you have good luck with your chickens this spring for you will very likely need them later in the year. Mentioning vegetable seed, you might hunt up some of these vegetable seeds that I brought home from the nursery. There are quite a few of them that should be very good as yet. They were in the bottom of the dresser in my room.
Are the Finleys ever going to settle down? I can't see any reason for selling their home now for all they have put into it seems like an awful waste of energy to me. And also the mining will boom only as long as the war in my opinion.
You mentioning the Income Tax. There were more of them around here worrying about theirs turned in before the deadline and then they were going to pay it with and then in the next breath tell you how much they earned before. Of course they get a reply from me on that subject. They practically every one of them earned more than I did and they haven't a dime to their name. They burn me up and then they want to borrow money the next day.
yes, your descriptions of the cymbidium are very good and I can see it very plainly.
Did you get a chance to wear one of them before giving it to Nina?
Have you heard just what Richard Minn is doing and what he is now in rank?
They had one of the worst storms that I have seen in ages here the first part of the week,
It was dark at 6:00 o'clock and very soon it started to rain and it came down in sheets and the thunder and lightning were sure a big addition to the storm. And I happened to have another of those classes and of course they became a little restless. So I finally dismissed them and did not march them back to the area.
Well I just finished having dinner and we had some very good steak, string beans, salad and cake and ice cream. We have very good meals here on Sunday . For lunch anyway. As for breakfast I am very seldom here for dinner on Sunday also.
our classes are not young to be so very good next week because the third and last week classes are usually the worst group to handle etc.
We are going to have an open house here of some kind tomorrow celebrating the second anniversary of the school and from what I gather it is going to be quite a day. We worked ahead off(?) last night in practice ward getting things set up for the display but I don't get the day off with the rest of them because we are required to be on the job.
Mrs. Tedesco in the library has invited me to an afternoon party at her home here on the post this afternoon. A very accomplished pianist is going to be there and we are going to listen to the Carnegie Hall concert also and I am looking forward to a very enjoyable afternoon. She is certainly a grand person. The pianist I have heard before at a concert at the museum which I may have written of before. He played for Giovanni Bruno the violinist also. I came to know Bruno quite well in fact he has written me since he has left here. He studied in Italy several years. He is the one that I went out to the Lady of the Lake College and Convent with to get the violin with which he was to play at the concert with Jose Iturbi when he was here in San Antonio.

It is indeed very bad that you have to bid Nelson goodbye, that is if he is really going, but it will be more than likely better if he does and then Muriel will probably soon let him go from her memory if she is not sincere about him or it may or course be a proving ground of her affection for him if she has any. What do you think?
I had really better begin thinking of closing now and get this letter in the mail box.
And I hope you will forgive me for not writing you before this. But I shall start another one to you tonight or very soon. I close telling you to take care of yourself and please not to worry too much about me.

Lots of love,
Your son, Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment