Saturday, March 20, 2010

March 10, 1943

March 10, 1943
Practice Ward - Plaster Room

My dear Mother:

Here I am writing from the practice ward. I have no more classes for the afternoon. We had a very good lunch today consisting of roast beef, mashed potatoes, fresh tomatoes. But where they got them I do not know. And we had some very good pineapple cobbler which I sure enjoy. I am sitting on a very low stool and writing on a very high table so my writing is none too good.
Yes I received your very nice box Monday and want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for it, and I really like the tie. The cookies were just as fresh as the day they were baked and they are delicious. And I was just about to need another toothbrush. You be sure and charge me for the things you sent. And one of these days I will get it all straightened out.

I guess my teaching rather got the best of me the first day for I was a little hoarse Monday and yesterday but I am practically all right today. I taught the folding and preparation of surgical supplies Monday. Yesterday I taught the scrubbing up and the putting on of the gowns, mask, hats and gloves. Today I taught the Waggenstein suction apparatus which consists of rubber tubes and glass tubes and bottles and the second hour the duodenal tube. All my classes have been two hours watch and three of them a day.

The Camp Barkeley boys arrived here yesterday, four bus loads of them and they are the eighteen year olds and they not only look but also act young. And they had no sooner arrived that they sent three of them to the hospital. Practically the entire camp has been under quarantine for as long as eight weeks: flu, meningitis etc. And then they put a medical training camp there.

I can hear the Sgt. here in the practice ward in the next room giving a lecture on gasses and the care of gas casualties. He is certainly a wonderful person to work with in fact they are all very nice except one and that is that lazy guy from Georgia that I have spoke of before and he certainly gets on my nerves.

Sunday I went for a nice long walk. I took a bus for quite a distance out and then walked up into the hills and across the Olmos Dam and back down the other way through the park by the Alamo Stadium and the Greek Theater and through the park back out and caught a bus and returned home.
I just came back from the post office thinking that perhaps I may be able to get the mail early, but the late mail was not in as yet and I didn't have any in the early so I left it there. And there may be some in the late afternoon mail for me because the afternoon mail is practically all that has accumulated from until morning till about three o'clock. The morning mail is just what has accumulated from the afternoon until morning which is not very much.

I received a letter from Aunt Nina the other day which quite surprised me because I didn't know that she ever wrote very much and I never expected her to write to me. That must have been some wedding that the Prentices' daughter had. I suppose they think they have money. Did they ever pay the bill that they owed you?

Did you ever get the picture from Marie? Have they as yet moved to Salt Lake City. It should be quite q relief to have them gone for awhile. You might suggest that now that they are thinking of settling down that they take grandpa for awhile and see what she has to say regarding that. I can just hear her, can't you?

You mentioning the old age pension affair awhile back. I can say that she certainly deserved just what she is getting. Too bad they can't rope Clari in too. He would take their side when it does not affect him. And the little abused thing getting married to a woman with two kids and saying that they were his, Isn't that just like him? Too bad they had to get Nina in on the affair. And then they trying to run you down along with it. And I like your remark about it being none of their business about how much Dad makes. I would like to have been there. The day will come when that tribe will regret what they have done in the past to you and then hear their cry.

Have you heard the Minns say anything about receiving a birthday card from me? I also wrote a letter at the same time to them.
Have you as yet bought my chance on the quilt?
Have the tulips come up and bloomed as yet? They should be very nice. They are a beautiful (?) bronze-purple and they are one of my favorite tulips but I have never had any of them before and was n hopes of being able to see them bloom but perhaps shall wait another year. The larger daffodils you speak of may be Golden Harvest if they are the first ones in the bed the other side of the tree. I sure bet they are a beautiful sight. How are the carnations coming. Did the iris bloom very well out by the chicken pen this spring and how are the little apricot and the avocado trees doing, they should be grown quite a bit by now that is in growth.

I have now had dinner and have walked down the stream I speak of East of here and found that it was too deep to follow down a little ways there are wild strawberries growing amongst the other only green trees for quite a distance around. Someday I will follow it down to where they tell me it joins quite a large stream. There are a lot of birds of different kinds including one owl. And there are also a lot of tadpoles with about two legs on them.

I sure hope you are able to read this letter. I think I will be thinking of getting ready to go to the library soon for I am able to write much better there and I am also able to concentrate much better there. It does not have the confusion and the noise that we seem to have here.

I was quite amused awhile ago. One of the new boys here was telling me awhile ago that he was getting ready to start on his second razor blade since he has been in the army. He told me that he had been in for only six weeks and is only eighteen years old. They just can't seem to get used to sheets, bus service, at regular intervals etc.
The sun is almost ready to disappear over the roof of the Service Club. It turned out quite warm. This morning it was sprinkling some.
Well, I had better think of closing now and will write more in a few days. Closing with lots of wishes for your good health.

Your son, Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment