Monday, March 2, 2009

31 December 1942

Medical Corps
Camp Barkeley, Texas
December 31, 1942

Dear Folks:
Well I am leaving here tomorrow about 6:45 AM, that is if nothing happens, which would not surprise me, if they go as they usually do. They took me completely by surprise and I did not know it until 6:00 PM when I was going by board and happened to stop and see my name along with about eight others. And to top it I am on Regimental Guard Duty tonight from eight until eleven , where I am now. This is the Colonel Headquarters usually higher than most of us ever get the honor of serving on.
Received your Air Mail letter today and was quite relieved to hear from you. Had not heard from you since Christmas Day mail call.
Also received the package from Aunt Nina this evening, there is more Xmas mail coming in now than before Xmas and they are simply swamped. You mentioned me maybe calling home Xmas. I thought of it but Abilene only has one line out and it was swamped so I was told by a couple who tried but did not succeed, so I gave the idea up although it would only cost 1.90 for three minutes, which is not so bad I think.
I have not heard definitely where I am going but I have gotten wind that it is Fort “Sam Houston” in San Antonio, which would be better than this place I suppose, or so I have heard.
I had better close now and get this on the way and will let you hear from me at new destination and I hope a new title and address.
Good bye for now,
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment