Wednesday, December 30, 2009

February 15, 1943

February 15, 1943

My Dear Mother:
I suppose you have been wondering just what has happened to me, well I have been just too busy trying to work and try to get sleep during the day which is just an impossible feat to try and do here. I had the awful hours of eleven to seven last week and then tried to sleep during the day. At noon the gunny comes in with all the noise that comes with them and then I could not go back to sleep until perhaps towards evening.
We would do nothing except clean down the tile walls which run seven feet up and then mop the floors. The four operating rooms are just simply beautiful in their way. The tile is all green with a very nice design in the floor. They would make very nice kitchens. Then after that we would treat the rubber gloves, the two of us. After which we would just sit around and try and sleep sitting on stools the balance of the time, about 5 hours.
So Saturday night the Corporal in charge said they were short of help on ward four and asked me if I would volunteer for the night. So down I went and I think I learned more the one night there than I learned all week in the operating room. I gave a hypodermic to one of the boys who has a tumor on the brain. He was surely thankful. I took temperatures, respiration and pulse in the morning. They have our Chinese boy in one of the rooms and he was sure no joy to wait on and there were a couple others that would run a person to death if they were given a chance. In fact I really enjoyed it.
I went up town this morning and mailed the pictures there are three of them: one I had left out of the folder for you so that you may have it framed if you wish or take one of the others out and put it in. You can charge the framing to me. I would have had it done here only the frame may have gotten broken in mailing.
I am not so terribly satisfied with them. I should have gotten smaller ones and they make me look about twelve years old. I will know better next time.
I am working from 3-11 this week and I am in the library writing and I will soon have to go to work. I have no idea what I will do today. Maybe get a chance to see an operation.
Yesterday I went out to the zoo with the boy from Washington. It was my second time out and got some very good pictures I hope, which I will send home in a box which I will send one of these days. It will have two pink grapefruit in it. They will not ship them to California because of the inspection on citrus fruit.
So I will see that you get at least a couple of them and I am going to send also the cards I mentioned previously.
I shall also attempt to answer the questions of your last two letters another day when I have more time than I have today.
I am going to start complaining my soon about my show they gave me eight and a half as you can imagine the condition my feet get at times, they sure get tired. They should certainly know better.
How are the cymbidiums coming along?
I gave a fellow named Des Saurins(?) dad’s phone number and told him if he in L.A. ever needed any help to call up. You do not have to extend any special courtesy to him on my part. I just thought if he needed direction etc. he may call. Also a man named Ellard may call you. He lives not far from us there and he got his discharge papers the other day (over 38). He came all the way from L.A with me. I had better be closing now for it is getting near starting out time. I will write sooner next time.

Love,
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment