Saturday, June 28, 2008

November 1, 1942

Pvt Stanley W Safford
No39539970 Company A
Fort McArthur
San Pedro California

To Mrs W. A Safford
1146 E 75th Street
Los Angeles
California

November 1, 1942

Dear Mother,
Arrived about 10:30 yesterday morning after walking about 1 mile from the car (Red Car). Took a physical exam. given our blankets & shirts then we made our beds. the beds are two high. above me is a boy who I knew quite well in high school, he is going to be here two weeks so they him today he will either be sent to the Santa Ana or San Antonio Air base for training in the Air Corps. One of my friends is going the same place, because they enlisted in it prior to being drafted.
You would not recognize me with my new hair cut, they are all quite short.
We had lunch then 3 ½ hours later had dinner. Yesterday neither was very good. There was enough of it only not quite good quality meat evoking the thing had some delicious buttermilk we then had tests which lasted 3 ½ hours. Radio operators, mechanical and general questions then we were given a lecture on insurance and I took out a $10,000 dollar policy which should be mailed to you soon. Please check and see if your middle name is correct, also when were you born. then we had interviews. After that we went to bed which was 12:00 clock last night, I did not sleep but about 3 hours last night then got up at 5;30 this morning, went to breakfast and was not very hungry then were issued clothes and sent my others home which you should get fairly soon. And what a load of new clothes. I will tell you later what all we have when we get them all.
We are called on a loud speaker system in the barracks which are down along the water front and we sure can smell fish at night. My bed is by a window which looks out upon the hill above and the original Fort and officers homes.
We had our vaccinations this morning and my arms are still fairly sore.
The watch sure comes in handy. I broke my dark glasses some how so could you get me another pair and send them to me later. I will let you know.
Please do not spend too much time on the junk in my room just shove it in a drawer or box and I will try to sort it when I come home sometime.
We had a fairly good meal today, asparagus, sweet potatoes, gravy, lemonade, bread, and ice cream in a small package.
I am trying to write this letter in a half setting, half laying position on my bed because there is another one above it. I expect to hear this afternoon what when and where I am going to do or be, we may have tomorrow. Please do not worry. Say hello to Daddy Muriel. Will write soon as I can
Love Stanley (W Safford - formality)

No comments:

Post a Comment